Saturday, August 20, 2011

Alexander Technique Helped Me Get Off My Meds!

Luke Ford writes: I don’t think Alexander Technique has anything to say about medication.

It’s a way of learning to move the way the body likes to move.

Still, it has profound effects on your whole being.

Here’s my story on how the Technique helped me get off medication. Your mileage may vary. I’m not a doctor and I’m not telling you what to do.

In 2001, a psychiatrist started me on the medications of clonidine and clonazepam.

According to Wikipedia: “Clonidine is a sympatholytic medication used to treat medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, ADHD and anxiety/panic disorder.”

According to Wikipedia: “Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug having anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant, and anxiolytic properties. …Clonazepam is also used for the treatment of panic disorder.”

Since I started blogging for a living in 1997, I’ve had a largely solitary life during the week so on Shabbat I often get high on socializing and end up acting and speaking inappropriately because I feel so giddy about the opportunity to mix, particularly with young women.

At a shul singles lunch in 2002, I said some inappropriate things to women and people complained. When I told this to my shrink, he suggested a low dose of lithium

I discuss the weekly Torah portion with Rabbi Rabbs Mondays at 7:00 pm PST on my live cam and on YouTube. Facebook Fan Page.

This week we study Parashat Ekev (Deuteronomy 7:12-11:25).



No comments: